Board of Directors: Sled Island Music & Arts Festival
The Sled Island Music & Arts Festival is seeking volunteers interested in adding their dynamic leadership qualities to our volunteer Board of Directors. The board plays a critical role in the leadership and governance of the festival.
While we encourage applicants from a broad range of backgrounds, an effort will be made to balance the skills of the current board with individuals who have expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Fundraising and donor stewardship
- Government relations
Previous board experience is highly valued, and preference will be given to those individuals who reflect Sled Island's commitment to diversity and inclusion. Additional skills of interest include the ability to develop strategic partnerships and build consensus. A passion for music and music festivals, Sled Island’s unique programming, making Calgary awesome and a commitment to the role of governance is essential.
A time commitment of approximately 10 hours per month is expected throughout the year. Additional commitment may be required during the festival to support the staff.
- Be part of a music festival that’s on the forefront of venue-based festivals
- Work with an energetic board that shares a passion for supporting local artists
- Shape the diverse music and arts landscape of Calgary
- Attend regular monthly board meetings with the Executive Director
- Manage/participate in a board committee
- Provide governance and leadership for the festival
- Review monthly financial statements
- Support and participate in sponsorship and fundraising efforts
- Clearly communicate the role of the festival and ensure that its value and contributions are understood and appreciated by all stakeholders
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Passion and vision for the growth and sustainability of the festival in Calgary as well as the impact it has on its community
- An appreciation of the festival’s eclectic programming and independent spirit
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with the fundamentals of governance and the value of board leadership to an organization undergoing growth
- An open mind, with the ability to consider multiple and sometimes conflicting points of view in finding solutions
- High ethical standards
- An awareness of issues that impact the festival and the festival’s role in its community
- The ability to network, collaborate and engage with a variety of stakeholders
HOW TO APPLY
We encourage candidates interested in this volunteer position to send a brief email explaining why it is an opportunity you would like to explore, along with your resume and a brief biography, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you may reach out with questions or to have an exploratory conversation with a member of the Board of Directors before applying. Queries can be directed to Arif Ansari, Board Chair, at email@example.com.
Submission deadline: November 5, 2019 at 4:00pm MST
ABOUT SLED ISLAND
Since 2007, Sled Island's thoughtful, eclectic programming and independent spirit have fused to produce a one-of-a-kind festival experience. Each June, the five-day music and arts festival brings together a community of more than 250 bands, comedy, film and art as well as over 40,000 attendees in more than 30 venues, earning rave reviews from attendees, artists and media across the globe.
To learn more about Sled Island, please visit SledIsland.com.
Sled Island has the impact that it does each year thanks to our tremendous volunteer base of over 400 people!
Want to get involved? Read on for details!
HOW TO REGISTER
Check back in spring 2020 for volunteer registration.
COMMITMENT AND PERKS
To earn a Sled Island Discovery Pass, we require a commitment of 26 volunteer hours pre-festival or 16 volunteer hours during the festival. To earn an All-Ages Pass (only for volunteers aged 16 & 17), we require a commitment of 8 volunteer hours during the festival.
If a volunteer is unable to complete all 26 pre-festival hours prior to the start of the festival and still wants to earn a Discovery Pass, they must join a new crew to complete their remaining required hours during the festival.
All volunteers completing their hours receive a Sled Island volunteer t-shirt, a festival pass, passholder discounts at Sled Island's community partners, an invite to the Sled Island Wrap-Up Pig Roast, plus more perks to be announced!
To inquire about our exciting pre-festival opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer crews include airport, artist lounge, art venue, beer garden/bartending, billet, comedy venue, door, film venue, hospitality, Green Island, line management, merchandise, pass pick-up, pre-fest, production, photography, relief, security, safer spaces, stage management, transportation and venue management.
Questions, thoughts or concerns? We’re here to help! Contact us at email@example.com.