Jobs & Internships
Artist Logistic Coordinator
Seasonal position, March - June 2023
Who We Are
Sled Island is a charitable organization with the mandate of fostering understanding and appreciation of music & arts underrepresented in mainstream media, and to nurture the local artistic community through performance and educational opportunities. Our main activity is the presentation of the annual Sled Island Music & Arts Festival, a pillar of Calgary’s cultural calendar taking place each June, that brings together thousands of artists, volunteers, partners, and attendees from across the country and beyond. We also present year-round artistic and educational programming through numerous community partnerships, aimed at increasing awareness of Sled Island on an ongoing basis.
Sled Island is a community-centric organization driven by values of curiosity and diversity, on and off the stage, and committed to principles of equity, anti-racism, and anti-oppression. We recognize the systemic lack of representation of equity-deserving communities in the current non-profit art space, and strongly encourage Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities; people with disabilities; people identifying as LGBTQIA2S+; and women to apply.
Who You Are and What You Will Do
Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Artist Logistics Coordinator will coordinate performance contracts and meet artists and festival guests’ travel, accommodation and immigration needs for the 2023 festival (June 21-25), in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Obtain or write artist performance contracts, review and prepare for signature by Executive Director;
- Gather and organize information related to artist payment, travel, accommodation, hospitality and immigration;
- Keep track of payment due dates, requested amounts and methods of payment;
- Assist artists or artists management with tax waiver application, when needed;
- Work with host hotel to book accommodation for performing artists and guests;
- Work with the festival’s travel agent to book flights for performing artists and guests;
- Compile artist travel itineraries and communicate date and times of arrival/departure to Transport
- Director to ensure all ground transportation needs are met;
- Collect information and prepare artist immigration manifests;
- Other related duties as assigned by the Executed Director.
- Excellent organization skills;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to give clear and concise written instructions;
- High attention to detail;
- Confidentiality, discretion and tact required;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Comfortable with Microsoft Excel, Google Docs and Acrobat Reader.
Preferred Qualifications (these are considered assets but are not mandatory to apply)
- Previous arts administration experience
- Familiarity with Sled Island
Job Specs & Work Environment
This is a seasonal position with part-time hours (20hrs/w) in March and full-time hours (40hrs/w) from April to June, working out of the Sled Island office. Due to the nature of the position, the Artist Logistics Coordinator will be required to work some evenings and weekends during festival time.
Our office is located in Mission and is easily accessible by public transport. Paid street parking and limited free parking is available in the area. Please note that the office is in the basement level of a building, with no elevator.
What We Offer
Gross salary of $1,793/month in March and $3,586/month from April to June. Professional development opportunities and access to free tickets for a variety of cultural events.
We have a small but mighty team that values collaboration, knowledge-sharing and diversity of perspectives and experiences. We strive to help our employees develop their skills and knowledge to meet their personal goals and encourage innovation and employee-driven initiatives.
How to Apply & Hiring Process
All candidates are asked to fill out this form instead of submitting a cover letter and to attach their resume. Please note that you will not be able to edit your responses after they have been submitted. The deadline to apply is February 8, 2023 at 5.00 pm MST. If you encounter any problem with the form, please email email@example.com. All applications are held in strict confidence.
We use a standardized application method to help mitigate bias in our selection process. We appreciate and review every application that comes in but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will take place shortly after the application deadline, online or in-person at the Sled Island office (2206a 4 Street SW).
If you are enrolled in a school program that allows an internship for course credit, feel free to contact us!