Jobs & Internships
Check back for future opportunities with Sled Island!
ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THIS INTERNSHIP
We have applied for Canada Summer Job funding for this position but will not find out if the funding is approved until late April. If the funding is approved, we will be able to pay the intern 30hrs/week for 8 weeks from May 1 to June 25, at $18/hr.
In case the funding is not approved, the internship will be reduced to 20 hrs/week for the same period, and we will be able to offer the candidate a $1,500 honorarium.
Please note that this internship can be used towards school credits. Other non-monetary compensation includes free tickets to cultural events and professional development opportunities.
Who We Are
Sled Island is a charitable organization with the mandate of fostering understanding and appreciation of music & arts underrepresented in mainstream media, and to nurture the local artistic community through performance and educational opportunities. Our main activity is the presentation of the annual Sled Island Music & Arts Festival, a pillar of Calgary’s cultural calendar taking place each June, that brings together thousands of artists, volunteers, partners, and attendees from across the country and beyond.
Sled Island is a community-centric organization driven by values of curiosity and diversity, on and off the stage, and committed to principles of equity, anti-racism, and anti-oppression.
We recognize the systemic lack of representation of equity-deserving communities in the current non-profit art space, and strongly encourage members of Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities; people with disabilities; people identifying as LGBTQIA2S+; and women to apply.
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director will support them in gathering, fulfilling, and coordinating the technical requirements of the 200+ musical acts performing at the festival, as well as coordinating the equipment required for film screenings, visual art installations, and panel discussions.
Specific duties include
- Sending emails to all performing artists to gather technical riders
- Organizing technical riders on the festival server for easy access by festival staff
- Reviewing all technical riders and flagging unusual requests
- Sending out production schedules to all technicians, venues and performing artists (arrival, sound check, performance times, …)
- Assisting the Technical Director with equipment rental orders and scheduling of pick-ups and deliveries
- Coordinating with other staff responsible for film, visual arts and conference programming to assess technical needs and ensure timely equipment delivery, set-up and tear-down
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to details
- Ability to manage a very large volume of emails
- Familiarity with spreadsheets and Google Docs
- Basic technical knowledge or experience playing music, an asset
Location: The Assistant Technical Director will work primarily from the Sled Island office located in Mission.
How to Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter to Charlotte Cuvilier, Technical Director, at email@example.com by April 19th, 2023.
If you are enrolled in a school program that allows an internship for course credit, feel free to contact us!