Los Angeles, CA
Dirty Projectors has always been about Dave Longstreth's complicated relationship between pop and experimentalism. Though the early sketches of what the vehicle would become began at the turn of the millennium while Longstreth was a student at Yale, Dirty Projectors truly emerged in 2005 with The Getty Address.
Longstreth called the album a "glitch opera" about Don Henley of the Eagles. The record boomed with over 25 musicians and would stake a foothold for Longstreth's near-inscrutable lens on the construction of popular cultural and musical composition. If the concept behind that album raised a few eyebrows, a follow-up LP that reimagined from memory Black Flag's Rise Above dropped jaws like anvils.
The freeform bursts of chiming guitar and maze-like vocal runs the band (featuring vocalists Amber Coffman and Angel Deradoorian) had tried out on Rise Above struck gold in 2009 with the release of Bitte Orca. Its lead single, "Stillness is the Move," was the cathartic meeting point of R&B-indebted vocals and indie rock's off-kilter equilibrium that spread like a breath of fresh air into many contemporaries' styles. The Projectors were rewarded with worldwide critical acclaim and invitations to collaborate from Bjork and David Byrne. A more lowkey affair surfaced with 2012's Swing Lo Magellan, perhaps foreshadowing that yet another Dirty Projectors reinvention was in its infancy.
It's impossible to talk about the sprawling digital tapestry of naked emotion that is Dirty Projectors (2017) without an aside to mention Longstreth's romantic and artistic split from Coffman. It colours nearly every corner of the record, with Longstreth's abstract walls of words replaced by lyrics as agonizing as an exposed nerve. Stylistically, it embraced electronic music more than ever before.
Just over a year later, Longstreth has put together a new six-piece version of Dirty Projectors to record and tour the forthcoming Lamp Lit Prose (out July 13 on Domino). Lead single “Break-Thru” teases a melding of their irresistibly idiosyncratic guitar melodies with the layers of electronics found on last year’s self-titled. The band’s appearance at Sled Island comes as part of the group’s first tour in five years, offering on-stage debuts of the new album’s tracks.
THE MUSIC LINEUP: BY NAMEVIEW ALL >
- 40 Watt Sun
- Ada Lea Alder & Ash Alimony The Allovers Also Also Also Ancient Pig The Avulsions
- B*les & The Suede B.A. Johnston Bad Buddy Basic Instinct Bat Fangs BB BB Mars BBQT Bebe Buckskin Billy Moon BIRDO Black Thunder Blessed Blue Odeur Blue Youth The Body Body Lens Bodywash Bog Bodies Borscht botfly Boyhood Bridal Party Building Confidence Through Play Burnt Shrines
- Calisthenics Camille Delean Carbolizer Carissa Gem Cartel Madras Cascades Caves Chained by Mind Cherry Glazerr Cherubs Chief n' Council Chieftain Chiffres Chron Goblin Chunder Buffet Chuurch Cold Water Conversations with Bears Counterfeit Jeans CRABSTYLE Crims & Flow Crom/Dam CROTCH Cryptorips Crystal Eyes Culled
- Dada Centauri Dadweed Dark Time Deerhoof Deliluh Dillon Nathaniel Dirty Projectors Discovery Zone DJ Dine & Dash DRI HIEV Ducks Unlimited Dumb
- Eamon McGrath Devastation Trio empath ÉMU Eucademix The Ex-Boyfriends Expanda Fuzz Eyeballs
- Faith Healer Family Injera Feed Dogs Feel Alright The Flaming Lips Fountain Friesen/Waters Duo From Russia with Love (ARG vs CRO) future star Fuzzy P
- The Garrys Ghost Woman Glaux Glum Gone Cosmic Goosebump Griefwalker Grouper Guerilla Toss
- HAIRNET Hales Nwad Harrison Brome Heavydive Hermitess HomeSick Hood Joplin Horse Girl Hot Garbage housepanther Hugh Man HUNDRED% (Yung Nino + DJ C-Sik)
- J Blissette Jack Sinclaire Janitor Scum JayWood jo passed Jock Tears John Maus Jonathan Kawchuk josh pan Julius Sumner Miller Jung People - Ambient Set Justin Wright
- K-Riz Kandekt Kari Faux
- Lab Coast Lambsbreath Le Plaisir Leather Jacuzzi Lido Pimienta Lié Life In Vacuum Lingua Ignota Live CJSW Sessions Lost Creatures Louis Cza Lucid 44 LYRIQUE & The Honor Roll
- Mad Ones Mademoiselle Magic & Johnson Mahogany Frog Man Meat The Mandates Mark Adam Marlaena Moore Mary Timony Plays Helium Matthew Cardinal Melted Mirror Michael Rault Miesha & The Spanks Mob Bounce Moths & Locusts Mount Eerie Mount Kimbie myst milano.
- Natural Selection DJs Necking nêhiyawak Nick Schofield No Warning NOVEMBER
- OAKK ohmwar OpenEnd Ora Cogan Oren Ambarchi & Will Guthrie Oseko Owen Pallett with Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
- Paradise Passive Peach Kelli Pop Peach Pyramid Petra Glynt Pin-Bar Guest DJs The Plodes Polly Dactic POSTNAMERS Prissy Whip Psychic Pollution
- The Radiation Flowers Real Sickies Redress respectfulchild respectfulchild & An Ant And An Atom Russell Louder
- Samantha Savage Smith SBDC Scattered Clouds Screaming Targets Selci Shabazz Palaces Sharing Shearing Pinx The Shiverettes Sightlines Silkq Sister Ray SLATES Slow Slow Tide Slut Prophet smoke eaters Smokey & the Feeelings Snotty Nose Rez Kids soft cure Solid Freex Speed Strips Strangerfamiliar Subjectivity Sunglaciers Supermoon Swim Swim Team Symfan Synkro
- TBA TechOne Territories Text Chunk THICK Thundercat Too Attached Touching God Trash Hawks Trigger Warming Truster Tyondai Braxton
- Ufomammut Uncanny Valley
- Valiska Vanta Vase VICTIME
- Wand Wayst WHAT A TIME White Hills WHOOP-Szo WILL CLARKE Will Clarke B2B Dillon Nathaniel Wine Lips Wire Spine Wish Lash Woodhawk WORLD BRAIN Wye Oak
- Year of Glad YEP