We are ecstatic to have visionary producer, rapper, DJ, label owner and filmmaker Flying Lotus as guest curator of this year's festival!
Each year, Sled Island’s guest curator puts their stamp on the festival through special programming choices and with their presence at the event. Flying Lotus’ curatorial selections join over 250 additional bands, comedy acts, films and visual art projects chosen by the festival in more than 35 venues across Calgary from June 21 - 25, 2017.
- Actress - live (London, UK): A critically-adored producer that brings the avant-garde to an ever-shifting blend of club styles.
- Ash Koosha (London, UK): A beguiling computer-based composer educated at the Tehran Conservatory of Music.
- Busdriver (Los Angeles, CA): A woke underground MC who regularly collaborates with the best of the LA beat scene.
- Dedekind Cut (New York, NY): Also known as Lee Bannon, Dedekind Cut’s soundscapes explore ambient, breakcore and drone music.
- DJ Paypal & DJ Orange Julius (USA + Berlin): Two of Mall Music, Inc’s brightest stars. These footwork game-changers are teaming up for all things fast, weird and loud.
- DJ Quik (Compton, CA): A hip-hop pioneer who refuses to stagnate. There’s a reason he’s still out here getting it.
- IGLOOGHOST (London, UK): A young producer of futuristic electronic sounds.
- Once and Future Band (Oakland, CA): An unpredictable maelstrom of prog, psych and saccharine pop.
- Seven Davis Jr (Los Angeles, CA): A master of digital funk, Seven Davis Jr joins us for both a DJ and live band set.
- Tierra Whack (Philadelphia, PA): A non-conformist rapper carving a new niche out for her rap and r’n’b tunes.
- Yves Tumor (International): A producer of unsettlingly instrumentals that cross noise and funk. On stage, Yves is a sensory warrior.
In addition, Flying Lotus will perform at The Palace Theatre (formerly Flames Central, 219 8th Ave. SW) on June 24, 2017. Sled Island passes grant access (subject to capacity) and are currently on sale at SledIsland.com, Sloth Records (736B 17th Ave. SW) and Lukes Drug Mart (112 4th St. NE).